Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Haleigh's First Surgery

Haleigh had her first surgery yesterday, she did really good, there were no problems through out surgery. A few details before I start telling our story. Haleigh was out to sleep with grape flavored gas, then given an IV and a breathing tube, surgery was 2 hours long, the piece that was removed was 5cm long and 2 cm across. He closed with normal stitches not dissolving ones. He gave her a nerve block that lasted about 8 hours, although I think it lasted longer than that.

On to the personals.

We left mobile on Monday the 7th at 6am local time. We didn't dress Haleigh, just changed her diaper and put her pj's back on her. We stopped in evergreen to pick up Jason's mom, eat and fill up. We didn't stop again and Haleigh slept all the way until we were about 30 miles out side of Atlanta. That is when we stopped and got Haleigh some lunch, Jason and I got a snack we were just not all that hungry. And filled up again. Then on to the hotel. I have to say the hotel was very very nice, but unless it was donated to us again we would not choose to stay there, even if it wasn't 350 a night. There was nothing wrong with it, we were just kinds out of place being at a hotel where they wanna do everything for you from opening the car door to your room door. They even knew our names as we walked out the door to get dinner! It was very nice, we are just use to doing stuff our self.

We changed Haleigh's clothes and went to meet Dr C. We got lost 3 times with the GPS, because Jason kept getting in the wrong lane and we would have to turn and then go another way and so on I times lol!

Everyone at Dr C's office was so so nice. They gave her a stuffed dog that Haleigh has been carring around with her ever since. We met Dr.C in the waiting room then went to an exam room, he was real good with Haleigh he played with her and answered all of our questions, and never made us feel that our questions were not important. The news was there setting up and I talked to them and did good with no tears until they asked if anyone had ever been rude to Haleigh or me, and what kind of questions we get in public. Ugh... That is a question that in the past that made me mad and I would always answer with a don't hurt my baby mommy voice. But I had already made it through surgery talk, talk of cancer, and talk of how we were turned down by other places. So when we got to how other kids are mean, my mind rushed to kindergarten and thoughts of Haleigh sitting by herself and I cried. They have me a min and then I furnished the rest of the interview with no more tears. I will let everyone know when its on line, it has not aired yet.

We left there and it was time to eat dinner, so we did that and then went to a cool mall, that was right across from our hotel, it was underground as well as above making it like 5 stories of stores, stores like Tiffany and company! We let Haleigh pick out a cupcake and then we headed to the hotel hoping to turn in early so we would not be late for surgery the next morning. Haleigh feel asleep about 10.30 Atlanta time.

We had to be at The surgery center at 6 Tuesday morning, so we left the hotel at 5.30 the surgery center is right across the street from the Dr office, and connected to the children's hospital, that is connected to north side hospital. We got there a few mins early and checked in at the wrong desk so by the time we got to the right desk we were right on time. They were all super nice and made us feel comfortable and talked to Haleigh in a soft voice. We didn't wait long before we were called back to be weighed and to get her blood pressure and stats done. She was at 95% oxygen for a while so they have her a breathing treatment then she was at 100%. We then went to per op waiting area that was a private waiting room. The nurse took Haleigh to pick a prize and the Dr that put Haleigh to sleep came and talked to us then listened to Haleigh's heart and lungs. We changed her into a hospital gown and socks, I put a gown over my clothes and a hat on my hair and carried her into the OR. There were about 15 people in there and Haleigh got scared because they were all wearing mask. Dr. C took his off to make Haleigh feel better. I laid her on the table and held her hand, she really didn't like the mask on her face but it took 2 deep breaths in and she started to fall asleep, I then had to leave her. I did good and only cried a little.

We were taken to post op and was given a timer. It went off after an hour, they called the or and we were told everything was going great and Haleigh was doing wonderful. 55 mins later Dr. C was out telling us she was in recovery and would be there for about 20 mins then they would bring her to me in post op. She was still sleeping but breathing all on her own age woke up for a min the laid her head down and slept for another 45 mins. After that she wanted me to hold her and her binky and cup. After the nurse saw her drinking age went over everything with us and gave Jason her pain meds to get filled, he ran down stairs and did that while we waited our 30 mins, after drinking before we could leave. By the time Jason was back we were ready to go.

We went to the hotel, Jason dropped me and Haleigh off while he went to get is something for lunch, since we had not eaten that morning and it was 11.30 already. The hotel was super sweet and helped me up to my room with my key, they also told me any thing we needed to just ask.

Haleigh did good through the day and night Dr. C came by the hotel about 4 to see her and was very helpful with some questions we had. We went to see him Tuesday morning and decided she was doing so well, we could head back to mobile. The weather was progressively bad, so we decided that since we had to take Jason's mom home anyway we would just stay with her for the night. Headed home in morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment