Saturday, November 16, 2013

Our Family

I imagine being Haleigh's brother or sister is pretty hard at times.  They have been really great when it comes to people asking questions or pointing. The younger ones even tell adults and kids that, it's just her birthmark. They have told kids not to make fun of her. The older ones have protected her when kids started asking questions and Haleigh got overwhelmed. Madalyn has held her in her lap for her fills and calmed her when she would cry. Collin has held her hand and told her it was ok. They have stayed home, be juggled around during surgeries and trips, and today I had to cancel a birthday party, partly to keep Haleigh well, partly to keep everyone well. They have been understanding and loving of their sister since the day she was born. But I wonder sometimes if they will grow up and look back on it differently. I hope they always know that we are doing the best we can, and that I wish her appointments and surgeries didn't mean a sacrifice on the part of my other children. But sometimes it does, sometimes it's unavoidable. Like this weekend when my oldest daughter can't go anywhere in fear there maybe sick people there and she will bring stuff home. Where my oldest son has to wait another week for his HappyBirthday. Where I have to leave my 4 other children and relie on extended family to get them to school, home, baths, dinner, clubs, practice, band.

It's hard. I know how hard it is on me. I can only imagine how hard it is for children. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment