Monday, February 18, 2013

Removal Surgery

Well we had to take Haleigh back to Birmingham today. It was very rushed.

I called the doctor at 9 this morning and was put through to the PA because he doctor was in surgery. I described what was going on and she said since we were so far to e mail her some pictures and she would text them to her doctor. So I took 4 just the way she said and then sent her one from yesterday. It didn't take long. 20 minutes tops and I was called back with the news to head to Birmingham. The dr was in surgery and all he said was to head up. But he was pretty sure the expander was going to need to come out.

We got everything together and left the house by 11am. It was a rough trip. Haleigh didn't eat much breakfast and was hungry but she couldn't eat or drink anything.

We arrived at UAB AT 4pm. We had to stop twice for Haleigh to go to the bathroom.

We were taken right to Admitting and her surgeon came there he took one look and decided it needed to come our. We were take to her room gave her a bath and dressed her in her gown. I was telling her how we would need to take her bubble out but everything was going so fast that she was scarred. I tried my best to sooth her though.

By 530 she was all prepped and by 630 she was being wheeled into surgery. I then ate for the first time today.

Her surgeon said it would take about 30 minutes and it took an hour, he said there was just so much fluid and infection, and he had to leave a drain in as well. 1 in 10 get infected None of the nevus was removed. We can restart with a new expander in 3 months. 99.9% never have another infected expander. We will try again.

Haleigh did great as always in surgery and in recovery. By 8pm we were back in our room. Everyone has been awesome up here. And I'm confident in the care we are reviving and I know we are still doing the right thing for Haleigh.

I am so ready to have this chapter in our lives and I'm ready to move on. But I know we are not on my time we are all on Gods time. Everything happens on his terms not ours.

Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts for Haleigh today and always.





No comments:

Post a Comment